10th April

Sorry there hasn’t been any recent news, I was away at a Birds and Climate Change Conference. So here is an update of what has been around in my absence.

Ring Ouzel: The male was last seen on the 9th unless someone knows otherwise.

Willow Warbler: At least seven were present on the 8th & 9th.

Chiffchaff: Ten birds were singing around the park 8th.

Yellow Wagtail: One flew north at 7.10am 9th.

Lesser Redpoll: Two flew over 9th.

DSC_0006

Several pairs of Grey Herons have young in their nests while others are displaying and looking for nesting opportunities.

DSC_0063

DSC_0047

Red Crested Pochards males have been busy chasing females or each other.

DSC_0016-1

DSC_0031

While on my way up to the conference I was able to call in at Eyebrook reservoir. Birds on show included 3 Ospreys, 2 Red Kites, Green-winged Teal, Little-ringed Plover and Tree Sparrow.

DSC_0164

DSC_0097

DSC_0070

DSC_0198

Comments

Gavin said…
Hi Tony,
Good to have you back. On Friday I saw a redstart, again my first, flying around the edges of area 24. I had meant to come on the bird walk today but stupidly didn't get round to booking a place. I will definitely try to make it next Sunday.
Hi Gavin.

That is a good sighting, was it a male? Next time we meet I we will have to exchange tele numbers, so we can communicate if something good is about.

Tony
Debbie Pledge said…
Hi Tony,
That moth turned out to be a Frosted Green.
Hi Debbie.

That is a new one for me. I have never recorded that species in the park.
castlehaven said…
Tony,
As part of the Big Bird Of Prey hunt on Friday, although unable to get a scope on the HUGE raptor for positive ID, I did, thanks to Des McKenzie, see a Marsh Harrier high over the park, floating NW.
Debbie Pledge said…
Frosted Green likes mature oak woodland in southern England.