9th April

I am sorry that there hasn’t been any news recently, I have been on a Bird Migration seminar at Leicester University. It was very informative with some very good speakers from around the world. The lunches weren’t to bad and the chance for some evening birding at Rutland and Eyebrook Reservoir couldn’t be missed.

While I was away I unfortunately missed a couple of goodies. A brief summary follows.

Wheatear: a male was present 4th.

Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap: numbers of these species increased from 5th, with more than ten of each being present.

Common Buzzard: two flew SW at 2.00pm 6th.

Marsh Harrier: one flew N at 10.35am 7th.

Common Redstart: a male was present in the Leaf Yard Wood, area 40 also 7th.

Cuckoo: one was calling from the grounds of the Open Air Theatre 8th.

Swallow: two flew through 8th.

Today:

Meadow Pipit: two were on the ground at 7.10am.

Common Whitethroat: one was singing from within the Cricket Pen, area 31. I wonder if it is last years male returning?

Peregrine Falcon: a male was low over the Wetland Pen at 3.30pm.

DSC_0106-1

Peregrine over the Wetland Pen

DSC_0115-7 

Kestrel carrying prey in area 32

DSC_0117-1

DSC_0035-4 

Butterflies  such as Orange Tip, Comma and Brimstone were out in reasonable numbers today.

DSC_0076-4

DSC_0044-1

DSC_1073

This fox had the nerve to sunbathe in my garden yesterday afternoon.

Here are a few goodies from my trip away

DSC_0404

Osprey carrying material to her nest on Rutland Water and another carrying food at Eyebrook Reservoir.

DSC_0786

DSC_0821

DSCN0036

Slavonian Grebe

DSC_0876

Common Shelduck

DSC_0955

I stayed at my brothers home as it was close to the seminar. It also gave me the chance to photograph some of the 32 Tree Sparrows that visit his garden.

DSC_0576

DSC_0609

DSC_1012

Red-tailed Hawk, this bird has been present at this site for several years.

DSC_1042

Goshawk

DSC_1059

DSC_1071

Comments