11th March

I have just returned from two and half days in Norfolk. Birding wise it was a complete washout, heavy rain on Saturday, sleet on Sunday and blustery blizzards conditions this morning. It meant that when I did venture out, several of the roads I travelled along suddenly became impassable. This was frustrating as it meant back tracking for several miles. The only birds of note that I saw were a heard of 70 Bewick’s Swans and a few Marsh Harriers. I was thinking that Barn Owls must be finding it really tough. I then encountered this bird hunting between the snow showers this morning.

DSC_2899

Watching this bird hunt along a ditch beside the road I could see how so many become road casualties. On several occasions a strong gust of wind would take him on to the edge of the road.

DSC_2901  

DSC_2875

DSC_2884

DSC_2896-001

DSC_2951

Lapwings were struggling to find food in frozen fields by the coast. The temperature was just below freezing but the wind chill froze spray from the nearby sea.

Comments

Marc Heath said…
Cracking Barn Owl shots, one of those birds we can't get enough of seeing.
You are so right, I don't think that II could wait in a ditch for a great shot like your recent postings. Well maybe I could if I had them on my doorstep.