27th October

Just a couple of things to report from a very blustery and showery Lands End Peninsular. The valleys that I visited first thing were really hard to bird due to the wind. I did flush a Woodcock from 60ft cover in Prothgwara. After that it was coastal birds and a sea watch over and after lunch.

Yelkouan Shearwater: A bird that didn’t show the characteristics that I am used to seeing on Manx or Balearic Shearwater flew past Pendeen Lighthouse at 12.20ish.

Balearic Shearwater: 6 singles flew past the lighthouse.

Sooty Shearwater: 8 flew past.

Great Skua: 7 flew through.

Pomarine Skua: 1 adult.

Long-tailed Skua: 2 birds seemed to really enjoy shearing in the deep troughs.

Puffin: 10 seen.

Razorbill and Guillemot: 100’s passed through in small parties.

Kittiwake: a small number passed through, I was expecting more.

Gannet: 10 of 000’s must have passed through today. They were on the move from dawn to dusk. 

 

DSC_7393

My only passerine photo of the day, it was so hard to hold the camera steady.

DSC_7469

Turbulent seas in the Pendeen area.

DSC_7462

DSC_7517

DSC_7569

DSC_7522

DSC_7691

I normally sit on this step and take photos of the Sennen Cove Purple Sandpiper flock. I gave it a miss today, as did the sandpipers who were constantly being bombarded the waves.

 

Comments