A blustery showery weekend in Norfolk

Sea Watching in Norfolk

I managed a couple of hours sea watching in between heavy and I mean heavy showers on Saturday and after the overnight had just moved a few miles east on Sunday. Saturday I found a sheltered spot tucked behind the end of a small dune system at Bacton. Then on Sunday I was at the Cley coastal shelter. I chose to stay outside even though there was room inside. I think it was windier in there than tucked around the side where I and a steadily increasing crowd stood. I only lasted 2 hours on both days but it was well worth it. Saturday's highlights were 3 Little Auks, 5 Grey Phalaropes, 100's of Wigeon, Teal, Common Scoter, and Gannets. The commoner ducks were flying just beyond the braking waves, the Scoter much further out. The surprise encounters were Woodcock and Short-eared Owl. Fieldfares were also trickling a shore. On Sunday at a slightly lower level there were still plenty of ducks moving west but the numbers were swelled by a good movement of Eider Ducks. As we were sheltering on the westside of the shelter we couldn't see what was coming until it was in front of us. One kind sole under cover of the shelter kept popping out to say what was coming. These shouts  rewarded us with 9 Little Auks, Pomarine Skua (above our heads), Velvet Scoter and a supposed White-billed Diver. After leaving the beach I popped down to Salthouse to look at an Eastern Stonechat (photos below).


   Eastern Stonechat









    Fieldfare


   Short-eared Owl







    Gannets


    Common Scoter


    Teal & Wigeon foreground Common Scoter behind


    Common Scoter



   Wigeon, Teal and Pintail






    Brent Geese 

  

Comments