A week in Cornwall October 2018

A week 29th September to 6th October in Cornwall with a 1 day stop off in Devon

My wife and I like our really enjoy our week in Cornwall staying in our cosy cottage, Gwennal Barn in Treen a 3 minute walk from the Logan Rock Inn. 



   Three years ago? this area by the Taw and Torridge Estuary was farmland then the sea broke 
    through the sea wall. It was always an area with potential, this invasion has improved it and 
    allowed me to see my fist Devonian Great White Egret



    Great White-Egret

    Little Egret

    Redshank
    We drove down to Cornwall on the Saturday afternoon, the next batch of photos were taken
    on the beach at Marazion on Sunday morning.
    Sanderling
    Whimbrel

    St Levan Beach, the Minack Theatre is just over the far headland.

    Northern Wheatear sheltering in a small stone quarry.

    Meadow Pipit


    Stonechat female
    Longships Lighthouse off the coast at Lands End
    Golden Plover in off the sea at Lands End
    Grey Heron in Sennen Cove


    Monday's weather was the best day of the week so we checked out Kenijack Valley
    Cape Cornwall is a good sea watching location but not one that I've been to.
    Our walk to Botallack and Geevor Mine was interrupted for a few minutes while filming
    for Poldark (TV program) took place.  
    Looking SW from the cliffs a Levant, Cape Cornwall can just be seen.
    A drop of the shoulder and the Kestrel evades the harassment from the Jackdaw.  


    My reason for going to the Botallack area soon came into view. It is a very reliable location 
    for seeing Chough.


    This female landed on a nearby rock as my wife and I enjoyed some sun. She then posed and 
    looked for food, not being worried by us in the slightest.







    We then visited my favourite sea watching location Pendeen, I say my favourite as the light a 
    viewing is better than at Porthgwarra and it tends to be more comfortable. I love the fact that if
    the weather isn't to horrendous I can get down to sea level on the rocks below the Lighthouse 
    and almost be eye to eye with Gannets when they hurtle by. On good days thousands of birds
    can stream past. The winds weren't ideal but I did spot this Grey Phalarope.



    The Sennen lifeboat on her return from visiting the Sevenstones Lightship. She has to be winched 
    back up the ramp. If you look closely you can spot a small flock of Kittiwakes on the sea.


    Just around the corner from the lifeboat station there is flock of Mediterranean Gulls in
    various plumages










    This is Gwennal Barn our cosy cottage

    The Logan Rock Inn is a stones throw away from the cottage and I highly recommend it.
    This juvenile Hobby was a pleasant surprise  and was sitting on the 2nd chimney from the
    left in the above photo. This is the 1st time that I have seen a Hobby perched on a building.





    Just a 5 minute drive away this juvenile Rose-coloured Starling had been present for several 
    days. I have seen several in this area before including one on telephone wires outside our Treen 
    cottage. The birders present with me had a slight worry when a Peregrine shot through leaving 
    a trail of pale feathers as delivered the coup de gras.



    The area south of Lands End has areas of habitat more reminiscent of moorland, for
    that reason it can attract moor land waders and birds of prey.
    


    This female Merlin came in off  the sea. 

    Raven

    We sat and enjoyed the peace and quiet on Nanjizal Beach, the only noise came
    from a seal that seemed to have a smile on her face. While watching her several
    Rock Pipits chased each other.

    Hooded Crow hybrid by the cycle track at Lands End

    The coastal path near Zennor is my wife's favourite walk, even though it is very up and downy.
    I was very surprised to see a species of bee I wasn't aware of until very recently, Ivy Bee 
    (Colletes Hederae) . This is a fairly recent addition to the UK species list.










Comments