20th - 21st September

Eccles beach: It looks really beautiful on a sunny day, but if there is a northely blowing it can be hard to avoid it. Sea Watching though can be very rewarding at these times.

This is Happisburgh in distance, less than 30 years ago the cliffs rose where you can see the waves braking. The rough seas demolished the old sea defences and this is the result. My brother in laws house can be seen just below the church.



Although the winds were light easterlies it did not bring a mega (a really rare migrant). It was still very enjoyable, when I got the chance to break off from tending to my mother-inlaws garden. I was staying at Eccles-on-Sea on the extreme east coast of Norfolk. I only visted three locations all within 15 minutes of my base. Here are some of the bird highlights.

Eccles
40+ Red throated Divers
160 Pink-footed Geese
1 Shag
(my first record for that location)
2 Scaup ( also a first for that location)
1 Marsh Harrier: flew in off the sea
1 Pomarine Skua
1 B
onapartes Gull 1st winter
4 Little Gulls
30+ Guillemots
2 Razorbills

Serin
one flew south over Waxham

Rush Hill scrape
1 Pectoral Sandpiper
1 Curlew Sandpiper
1 Wood Sandpiper
12 Little Stints

Winterton Dunes
1 Wryneck:
Unfortunately after I had viewed this bird all on my own, I then witnessed the bad side of bird watching. A group of so called birders were going around shaking the branches of the bushes in the area of the bird trying to flush it.
4 Common Redstarts
1 Pied Flycatcher
300 Siskins






Comments