9th May

I am back after a two and a half day trip to North Norfolk. I had intended to leave at 4.00am on Friday but my car hadn’t come back from the garage. Eventually I got off just before mid-day, the delay meant that I would miss out on a two of my favourite stop offs. They are Lakenheath Fen and it’s Golden Orioles and accompanying birds and nearby Weeting Heath and its Stone Curlews. I was due to meet three friends for the weekend, on reaching Fakenham I checked to see where they were. “Titchwell” said Mark, “we have just seen a Red-footed Falcon”. It was apparently a flyover, as many of the birds that were to be reported in Norfolk were going to be. The weekend overall was a little quiet with few birds  on the sea, not many species of wader and not any unusual passerines until late on Saturday when a Citrine Wagtail turned up by the Cley Windmill. I did manage to see it on Sunday morning along with one other birder. Unfortunately the rest of my group were in the wrong place as it took to the air never to be seen again. Then on the Sunday a Richards Pipit and a Collared Flycatcher, the latter not being found until I was half way home and I wasn’t going back. My friend saw 120 species over the weekend, I may be two birds short of that.

Here are a few memories of the trip

DSC_0025

Brent Geese are still present in reasonable numbers

DSC_0051

DSC_0300

This Heron had a tough job trying to swallow this eel

DSC_0313

DSC_0336

DSC_0031

Mediterranean Gull numbers on the north coast are increasing

DSC_0237 

Terns like Common (above) and Little were scarce, unlike the Sandwich Tern that could be seen and heard along the coast.

DSC_0375

DSC_0150

Up to five Temmink Stints (above) were at Cley’s NNT Reserve

DSC_0143

Oystercatchers posturing

DSC_0115

DSC_0078

Ruff in a variety of colours could be seen at Titchwell as was this Little ringed Plover (below) lack of a wing-bar separates this species in flight from the similar Ringed Plover.

DSC_0242

DSC_0182

Sanderling doing what Sanderlings do best, running.

DSC_0352

Bearded Tit at Titchwell

DSC_0502

Sedge Warblers are good mimics, this bird at times sounded like a Redshank and then Lapwing.

DSC_0431 

There were still 5 Shorelarks present at Cley

DSC_0461

Marsh Harrier enjoying the blustery conditions

DSC_0580

Hobby at the RSPB’s Lakenheath Fen Reserve

DSC_0583

DSC_0605

DSC_0544

This Stoat was looking for Rabbits at Friary Hill, we were hoping for a Ring Ouzel. He probably faired better than us.

Today in the park

Common Tern: male fishing early morning.

Common Whitethroat: another male was singing, this time in area 41.

Swift: birds were over the park all day.

Comments

Nice photo of white throat.
Will ave to see them on weekend.