24th June

After several recent sightings in London, I finally connected with a Hobby. The bird was soaring above the Wetland Pen, causing the young Kestrels to become very vocal.
DSC_0336
As I have just mentioned the Kestrel were slightly agitated by the Hobby’s presence, though it gave a chance to see the different shapes of these similar sized falcons.
DSC_0426
DSC_0359
DSC_0373
DSC_0348
Green Woodpecker drinking at the pool in the Wetland Pen.
Sorry about the quality of this video clip, I didn’t have the time to set up my digiscoping kit.
Early this morning and I mean early, up at 4.10 am and on site at 5.00am. I had decided to pop down to see how the Peregrine family that recently featured on the RSPB’s London Web Cam were doing. I was there before the sun was up, though the birds were all flying as I approached. The falcon (female) brought in one prey item but even though the male made two attempts he returned empty taloned on both occasions, to the juveniles disappointment.
DSC_0059
The falcon returns with a prey item, causing the juvs to get excited.
DSC_0028
DSC_0063
DSC_0065-1
She then flew off to a perch on top of the building, the male then though he should try his luck
DSC_0088-1
DSC_0158
With the tiersel returning on his own, the youngsters did scare the early morning daylights out of a Grey Heron (sorry no pictures due to poor light at lower altitude).
DSC_0165-1
DSC_0202
DSC_0216
These birds have been ringed, which can clearly be seen on this birds left leg.

Comments

stuart said…
Thanks for the pics Tony - it's the next best thing to being there. Hope Misty and Houdini's offspring are doing equally well.
As far as I am aware they are. It is a shame that I will not be able to get any photos of them this year. Next year you should be able to take your nipper along with you. It is best to start them young. Look how I turned out.