2nd July

I wasn’t working today, but as the light was superb first thing I thought I would check on the Little Owls and the Kestrels on Primrose Hill.

DSC_0009-5

I spotted one of the owlets high up in an Ash tree some 60 metres away (a cropped photo at the same distance below).

DSC_0015-7

Using a clump of trees on the ridge that runs through area 25 I was gradually able to approach a few metres at a time, eventually I was able to get some reasonable shots.

DSC_0030-5

DSC_0035-8

Concentrating on getting pictures of this bird I thought that when he/she looked up it was likely to be a pesky Magpies or something similar. I was wrong, one of his siblings had flown in and landed just above, how considerate.

DSC_0045-6

DSC_0049-10

The picture below captured the moment when the young hiss.

DSC_0064-3

As I approached area 48 the Kestrel site, three juveniles flew from the open area into the trees by the nest site. If I had been 5 minutes earlier I would have got the flight shots that was the reason I had gone up there. However with early morning light I was able to capture some pictures of two juvs. I will try again tomorrow for flight photos weather and light permitting. 

DSC_0083-1

DSC_0091-1

DSC_0108-1

DSC_0121-1

Comments

TootingBirder said…
Hi Tony, I love the Little Owl photos. Really nice. I'd like to come to see these birds. Would you be able to give me directions as I don't know the area?
Thanks
James