3rd January

Bushy Park

A quick round up of 2012 Highlights

I started my new role for The Royal Parks albeit only until the end of June 2013 last January. I couldn’t have asked to work two such great parks (Richmond and Bushy). It turned out that I would be spending much of my time in Bushy Park. My role still allowed me to get out into the park. I was pleasantly on just totting up what I had seen to reach 106 species.

Below is a list of birds that I thought might be possible to see there. I have marked the species that I saw.

Great crested Grebe

 

Golden Plover

 

Eurasian Skylark

1

Chiffchaff

1

Little Grebe

1

Lapwing

1

Barn Swallow

1

Goldcrest

1

Cormorant

1

Common Snipe

1

Sand Martin

1

Firecrest

 

Little Egret

1

Woodcock

1

House Martin

1

Spotted Flycatcher

1

Grey Heron

1

Curlew

 

Tree Pipit

1

Pied Flycatcher

 

Mute Swan

1

Redshank

 

Meadow Pipit

1

Long-tailed Tit

1

Grey lag Goose

1

Green Sandpiper

1

Pied Wagtail

1

Blue Tit

1

Canada Goose

1

Common Sandpiper

 

Yellow Wagtail

1

Great Tit

1

Egyptian Goose

1

Black-headed Gull

1

Grey Wagtail

1

Coal Tit

1

Common Shelduck

1

Common Gull

1

Wren

1

Nuthatch

1

Mandarin Duck

1

Herring Gull

1

Hedge Accentor

1

Tree Creeper

1

Mallard

1

Lesser Black-backed Gull

1

Robin

1

Jay

1

Eurasian Wigeon

1

Great Black-backed Gull

1

Common Redstart

 

Magpie

1

Gadwall

1

Kittiwake

 

Whinchat

1

Carrion Crow

1

Northern Shoveler

1

Sandwich Tern

 

Common Stonechat

1

Rook

1

Common Teal

1

Common Tern

1

Northern Wheatear

1

Jackdaw

1

Red crested Pochard

1

Feral Rock Dove

1

Ring Ouzel

1

Starling

1

Tufted Duck

1

Stock Dove

1

Blackbird

1

House Sparrow

1

Common Pochard

1

Collared Dove

1

Fieldfare

1

Brambling

 

Goosander

1

Turtle Dove

 

Mistle Thrush

1

Chaffinch

1

Ruddy Duck

 

Wood Pigeon

1

Redwing

1

Greenfinch

1

Common Buzzard

1

Rose-ringed Parakeet

1

Song Thrush

1

Goldfinch

1

Red Kite

1

Cuckoo

1

Sedge Warbler

1

Hawfinch

1

Eurasian Sparrowhawk

1

Tawny Owl

1

Eurasian Reed Warbler

1

Bullfinch

1

Osprey

1

Little Owl

1

Dartford Warbler

 

Common Crossbill

1

Common Kestrel

1

Swift

1

Lesser Whitethroat

1

Siskin

1

Eurasian Hobby

1

Kingfisher

1

Common Whitethroat

1

Serin

 

Peregrine Falcon

1

Lesser spotted Woodpecker

1

Blackcap

1

Lesser Redpoll

1

Water Rail

1

Greater spotted Woodpecker

1

Garden Warbler

1

Meally Redpoll

1

Moorhen

1

Green woodpecker

1

Wood Warbler

 

Reed Bunting

1

Coot

1

Woodlark

 

Willow Warbler

1

Yellow Hammer

 

 

Below are some of the photos taken last year in Bushy Park

DSC_4157

Cold weather in early February saw a small flock of Lapwings spend a couple of days in the paddocks. A Common Snipe also spent time feeding on the pools in the Brew House Fields.

DSC_3847

 DSC_6118

This Stonechat was possibly forced to move by the cold weather. At least 80 Siskins could be found on the western side of the park.

DSC_5568-001

This Little Egret could also been seen by the Roaring Arch.

DSC_8554

DSC_1989

I was pleased to catch up with a pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. Only one pair now remain in the park and I am sure will soon be history due to the presence of the parakeets

DSC_1620

In Regent’s Park Kingfishers were annual but elusive. I was lucky to find a spot that the birds favoured.

DSC_1423

DSC_4599

It was also a pleasure to have another one of my favourite birds the Swallow breeding in the stables.

DSC_4922

DSC_0004-001

Little Owls can also be found the birds near Hawthorn Cottage are fairly reliable.

If you were lucky 5 species of birds of prey could be seen during the day.

DSC_0410

DSC_0071

DSC_3941

DSC_8112

DSCN2324

DSC_4895

DSC_7610

DSC_1507

DSC_5544

DSC_9190-001

DSC_6612

A highflying Goosander was a pleasant surprise in November

Comments

Helen Speak said…
Happy new year!
Sorry for the lateness of this but I've lacked internet access recently:
18 December about 2pm I went looking for the water rail in regents park, didn't see it but saw an odd duck instead - free flying, light grey body and brownish, very small head, small beak, speckled front, 2 black stripes along its back along top of wings, big white wing panels in its wings in flight. Had a tussle with a male gadwall, similar size and colour but looked more sawbillish. Couldn't ID it, looked a bit like a cross between a male and female goosander and a female goldeneye, any ideas or did anyone else spot it?

21 December about 1:30pm - Christmas present from the park, the water rail showed nicely in the ditch for about 15 mins with some moorhens, and then as it disappeared I heard a chiffchaff calling :)

2 January 1:30pm - I was having lunch on hanover island when I spotted the water rail nipping out of the reedbed on the lake side amongst the new reed fringe for a minute. Also flock of about 20 siskins flew off out of the cricket pen across the playing fields!

Essay over, will try to post more promptly next time :)
castlehaven said…
Happy New Year Tony! Just looking with envy at your pictures - amazing shots!
Ian said…
Happy New Year Tony. I spend a lot of time in Bushy Park and it's a pleasure to read your blog. I spent new years day morning with the local RSPB group on a walk and your comments on the lesser spotted woodpeckers were echoed by these birders. Oddly enough we saw a great crested grebe in the Diana Fountain area. All the best, Ian
Hi Helen.

Happy New Year!
Don't worry about the lateness of the report.As I have said before I am just glad that you and a few others take the time to let me know what they have seen.
The duck that you saw is baffling me. The start of your description was sounding like a 1st winter drake teal but then you throw in white wing bars and reminded you of a sawbill and I am lost. Maybe someone else will put us out of our misery.

It is interesting that you saw the rail amongst the newly planted reeds. I had a beach constructed facing the bridge that I think has now got plants growing on it. I will try and have these removed as it might allow us to view the rail when it is mooching about.

Thanks again

Tony
Happy New Year to you castlehaven. Bushy Pk has delivered some cracking birds, ones that are either high-fliers or quickly flushed when seen in Regent's Park. Regent's has still produced some goodies but as yet I haven't gone through the list to see how many. Hopefully I will see you at our next goody, providing it stays long enough.

Cheers

Tony
Helen Speak said…
Definitely not teal, far too big. I think it must be an odd plumage or a hybrid of something, goosander being the closest I can get. I think I saw it today actually, so it may still be around. It headed into the collection behind hanover island but I couldn't see it. The wing panels really stand out!
:)
Helen there is a hybrid RC Pochard that if my memory serves me well might be the bird. I have posted photos of it in the past. I will look through my photos to see if I can find it.