Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

11th March

I have just returned from two and half days in Norfolk. Birding wise it was a complete washout, heavy rain on Saturday, sleet on Sunday and blustery blizzards conditions this morning. It meant that when I did venture out, several of the roads I travelled along suddenly became impassable. This was frustrating as it meant back tracking for several miles. The only birds of note that I saw were a heard of 70 Bewick’s Swans and a few Marsh Harriers. I was thinking that Barn Owls must be finding it really tough. I then encountered this bird hunting between the snow showers this morning.

DSC_2899

Watching this bird hunt along a ditch beside the road I could see how so many become road casualties. On several occasions a strong gust of wind would take him on to the edge of the road.

DSC_2901  

DSC_2875

DSC_2884

DSC_2896-001

DSC_2951

Lapwings were struggling to find food in frozen fields by the coast. The temperature was just below freezing but the wind chill froze spray from the nearby sea.

2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

Cracking Barn Owl shots, one of those birds we can't get enough of seeing.

Tony Duckett said...

You are so right, I don't think that II could wait in a ditch for a great shot like your recent postings. Well maybe I could if I had them on my doorstep.