Kingston Peregrine update

Kingston Peregrine update 19th June 2018

The first of the 4 juveniles a male took to the air on 15th and the last female on 18th. Weather conditions were perfect being dry and sunny with a blustery wind. The wind is critical during fledging as it gives the birds the ability to gain height.

Last week I was able to pop by on my way to work and took these photos. Being a small part of the London Peregrine Partnership and the accredited agent for these birds I also get phone calls if something has gone wrong. The 19th was one such day, having just enjoyed a bacon bap in the Pheasantry Cafe in Bushy Park, I received a phone call from Paul, one of the colleges security officers who has taken it upon himself to do all he can to make sure the birds are not disturbed during the breeding season. He wasn't at work but had been informed that one of the juveniles was sitting on a wall by a bus stop opposite. I was able to get there within 15 mins and having spoken to staff from the college said that I am sure she can fly, as I had seen 4 juvs on the wing at 5.50am. I thought she may have been forced lower by the resident crows but if I could get her to take off into the wind she would get the required lift and should be able to get up on to a nearby roof. I almost went as I wanted, the only slight inconvenience, not for the bird but for me was the fact she landed on the roof of student accommodation ( only 4 floors high) rather than the nearby offices and Crown Court a few floors higher. It meant that I had to wait for her next move, thankfully that wasn't to long in coming. She clambered up the pitch of the roof, wobbled along the ridge and just after her dad had flown past she took off, landing this time back on the college roof.


A good place to stand and view the college.



















You can just make out the juvenile female on the edge of the pitched roof


Thankfully the crows only stooped at her 4 times before becoming bored







Here she has decided to get even higher, she was then open to the elements and soon she had plucked up the courage to go for it.






 

     

Comments