Slavonian Grebe in Richmond Park

Slavonian Grebe in Richmond Park

I was really lucky that I had decided to work in Bushy Park on Friday 29th November. I was working with Sam, who's part of the Ecology Team clearing up reed cuttings that were left after a volunteer work day 2 weeks ago. The ground was to wet for vehicles to cart them away so we were using wheel barrows to move them to an area that they could rot down in. While we were taking a breather I had a phone call from DJ, he was calling to let me know that a Slavonian Grebe had turned up on Pend Ponds in Richmond Park. I was going to be pressed for time if I was going to get this job done and then drive through Kingston where the traffic has been horrendous lately, see the bird and be home by 3.30pm to take my wife out. 

The Gods were on my side for once








Black-headed Gulls looking to steal a fish from the grebe caused it to take evasive action even if it didn't have a fish. 






Little did I know that this was the Slavonian Grebe waving goodbye to me, it wasn't seen on Saturday.





Comments