Norfolk over Xmas and the New Year 2019

Norfolk 29th December and 2nd January 2020

It was a pleasant change to be in Norfolk without any rain until Friday the day we decided to go home. I kept the birding fairly local not going more than 10 miles from home. This restricted me to looking at swans, geese, plovers and buntings. It did change on the penultimate day the 1st January when I phone call from Dave J telling me that a Desert Wheatear had been found on the beach at Cart Gap. That phone call made up my mind on where to take my wife for a walk. She didn't mind as it's an area we often  do a circular walk. I pulled into the car park and was surprised to see only a 4 cars parked considering it was about 90 mins since the bird was reported. I went to the top of the slipway that leads on to the beach looking for any birders. Not a single one to be seen in any direction. I chose to get back into the car and drive to the parking area 1 and a half miles down the coast, 4 miles by road where we park to look at the Snow Buntings. This time we both went on to the beach, 30+ Snow Buntings were waiting for me. I ignored them and headed north along the shore. There was still no sign of any birders apart from a distant couple who were heading in the same direction as us. After 5 mins I said they are looking at something. We picked the pace up and were soon watching a 1st winter Desert Wheatear. I was slightly annoyed I'd left my scope in the car as it meant that I couldn't film it. I enjoyed the bird for about 45 mins by which time there were now 6 birders including me enjoying great views of the bird. On the way home we headed to Boundary Farm as the Whooper and Bewick's Swan heard had been reported as feeding in roadside fields. I managed to find a slightly sheltered location and filmed them for a few minutes. On the 2nd as wife had a haircut I returned to the beach at Eccles on Sea to say my farewells to the Wheatear as I knew it would be my last chance to see it. If the weather forecast on our last day was for sun it wasn't we would have stayed for another day. I would have then taken my wife to Dersingham  Bog stopping on route to see an Eastern Blue-headed Wagtail. Hopefully it will be there in 2 weeks time when we go again.

Sunset from the conservatory


Snow Buntings on the beach at Eccles on Sea









Red-throated Diver on the sea at Eccles


Pink-footed Geese coming in off the North Sea


There was a huge flock of Pink-footed Geese feeding south of East Somerton for several days






What do you think of the right-hand goose


Sunrise at Ludham Airfield, you can just about make out a wartime hanger in the picture below. Driving around this area you often come across reminders of wartime buildings.



If you look very closely you can make out the Ludham Golden Plover flock, they roost close to the A149 for safety. Mind you when a harrier come's their way they hunker down becoming almost invisible.




One afternoon we wen for a walk at Hickling NWT reserve, the water level in the reed beds was very high so we headed to Stubb's Mill, the raptor watchpoint, it was to early for them but we did see 4 Whoopers heading towards their roost site near Boundary Farm.






New Years Day surprise Desert Wheatear









Now that is an ideal number of birders to have at a twitch











Whooper, Bewick's and Mute Swans grazing in roadside fields north west of Sea Palling



  



Comments